Monday, June 13, 2016

My new normal

I wasn't having fun at that moment. In fact, I texted Dorsey: "I'm DONE!"

So much has happened in the almost-month since I last posted. The most significant thing, I suppose, was surviving my second antique show ... this one in Richmond, IN.  This is how it happened, and this is what I learned:

First leg of the trip. Lovely, right?

Loading up. Tornado hit 6 miles from us.

New brick floor while I was gone. Could not be happier.

Greatest find so far. c.1810 New England corner cupboard, original paint
  • Just me and Mary: We did it!
  • Just me pulling our 11X14 trailer for 15 hours each way: I can do it. Keep packing that cooler with healthy food. 
  • Listening to two David Baldacci books along the way: Love Baldacci and appreciate books on CD soooooooo much! (Do audio books count as reading?)
  • Experiencing part of the country I've never seen before: This may be the best part of this business venture. Travel travel travel!
  • Denting a wheel cover on the trailer the very first day of the trip: Make wide turns, especially at the gas station. 
  • Unloading 90 percent of the trailer for the show all by myself: I can do it.
  • Loading and unloading in the rain and tornado warnings: That sucked. But even then it was funny. Don't wear flip flops.
  • Learning more about the antique business from my mother-in-law and others: Love learning. Must stay positive at all times. 
  • Buying the most gorgeous corner cupboard I've ever seen: Probably won't be able to sell this antique. Dorsey and I love it!
  • Unloading 90 percent of the trailer back into the house and shop upon returning home: I rock.
  • Redecorating my entire house once I returned: Whew! I kinda like doing that.

  • Redecorating can be great fun!
  • Getting a brand new kitchen floor ... which I love and adore and love love love: Why didn't I do that sooner? :-) ALWAYS do renovations when you don't have to be there in the mess ... if you suffer from OCD!
  • Shows will be much better and less stressful when Dorsey can go, too: I'm strong, but, damn, it's hard work and I'm not getting any younger! And Mary is 88 years old and should NOT be doing this stuff. (She can PACK a trailer!)
I think I'm finding my life's new "normal." :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jami:

    First of all, I love love love the brick floor, at least the looks of it. I hope you will, too, for a long time. 2nd, that corner cabinet is fantastic and I am glad you have it. Is that your parent's collectibles in it? 3rd: you have my utmost admiration doing this antique show on your own, with Mary, in terrible weather, and all that. You are a powerhouse! 4th: yes, books on tapes or audiobooks DO count as reading and if this keeps up for you, you will be well read!

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!