Friday, March 6, 2015

Adventures of the New Household


      

Dad and Chloe have lived with us for almost a week now. As you can see from the photos, Chloe has made herself quite comfy. 

If I had known all I had to do was move a parent or parents in to get another cat so easily, I would have done it a long time ago!!

We now have FOUR cats in the house. And four outside. And two dogs.

We officially live in a zoo; it's never dull and rarely clean. But it's home.

The major challenge we face now is mixing Chloe with the other animals. At this time, she's in the Dad Quarters with my dad. None of the other animals can enter her kingdom ... yet.

When we finally get to that point, I truly cannot imagine the Battle of the Queens we will have between Chloe and Allie. 

Allie. This rotten little angel owns me.
I'm sure we will see many showdowns between them.

On the other hand, I can't discount or minimize the impact yet another cat will have on my "little" Boo. He acted butt-hurt for six months after Allie came along. For some reason, Boo and Jasper have loved each other from the start. Jordie says they're gay. They are my little sweethearts.

Best buddies Boo and Jasper.
Chloe has always been an only kitty. My mom said whenever any other kitties came to visit or to stay in their backyard, Chloe acted like a meanie and bullied them. And Chloe has probably never seen a dog in her life, except maybe through a window.

Oh, my! This is going to be interesting, for sure.

As if I did not have enough stress. :-)

* * *

Moving my dad in has been a piece of cake. He seems to be adjusting just fine. We still need to get a few things set up in the "Dad Quarters," like his personal little den. 

However, we're going to have to buy stock in Starbucks coffee and Diet Cokes. This is ABSURD! No, really ... it's insanely ridiculous how we go through those two things. Can you buy Starbucks in bulk?

* * *

So here's something funny about Dad joining us: 

When Dorsey's job was eliminated at the Globe-News 10 years ago, we dumped our newspaper subscription ... of course! We didn't have happy thoughts about that place for a long time, even though we both spent a significant portion of our lives there. And, to tell you the truth, I mostly have fond memories of my time there. 

As I've grown older and stepped away from my immaturity, and as I've learned to see my part in the less-than-pleasant happenings of some of those days, I've softened.


I now look back fondly on everything I learned, the skills I gained and the people (characters) I met. Some of them still are in my life. I met my husband. (And my first husband.) I had Jordie. In fact, there wouldn't be a Jordie if I hadn't been at the Globe-News!

The skills I gained then have served me well in every job I've had since then, but more important to me now, they opened the door for what I'm doing now, and I love it; I hope this opportunity grows to the moon and back.  

So, in my world, it's all good, and it's all water under the bridge. 

Now that Dad is with us, the Amarillo Globe-News arrives at our house every morning. Just for Dad. Because we love him.

And, Dorsey and I peek at it, too. :-)

Life is funny, isn't it?

* * *

Stay tuned for the coming adventures of the Wilmarth-Henry-Wilcoxson household. We have plenty of entertainment, thanks to Indy, Koda, Boo, Jasper, Allie and Chloe. 



3 comments:

  1. What a great posting! It's funny how we sometimes take a firm stand on something (like not reading that newspaper ever again!) and then we do..You stated it well, you had to get past your immaturity. And you sure would hate to have missed Dorsey and Jordy. It's fun to connect the dots in our lives.

    I am with you on the delivery of Diet Cokes---it IS ridiculous but I am still dependent on it. Not a coffee drinker so no need for the Starbucks expense on top of it all.

    Glad things are going smoothly right now, happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!