Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Kim is going home today

As many of you know, my sister, Kim, has been in Amarillo since Oct. 16, 2014.

Today, she flies home. I can imagine she's excited. She's going home to her husband, her son and her Izzy and Raider puppies. She's going home to her own home. She's getting back into her office, rather than working long-distance.  I know just how she must feel, actually; I was away for three months, once. It's like walking into a new life when you get back home.

I know she's feeling trepidation, though. I mean, she is Super Woman and won't be here for immediate fixes. I know she'll be at home in the middle of her work day, stressing about what's going on in Amarillo with Mom and Dad. That's just her. (But I would do the same.)

And, I know my dad is nervous; Kim's been keeping him company and managing the house for him.

And, of course, I'm afraid. I feel somewhat like a person must feel who is facing her execution. STOP! NOT REALLY! That was just a mean thing meant for Kim. I know, I know, that's just wrong. We sometimes do stuff like that to each other. We may be getting old, but some things still don't change. ("She crossed my line!" "That's mine!" "Mom! Kim's rolling her eyes at me! Dad, Jami's being a pest! Kim hit me with a vacuum cleaner!)

During these past few days, I can tell Kim has gotten more anxious, probably because she's heading home and doesn't know what to expect (like any of us), and because she's just plain exhausted. Remember how you felt with that newborn baby? Twenty-four-hour care? Yep, that's us.

So with that anxiety and exhaustion, Kim has been a little ... um ... edgy. Snippy. You know how it is. Several times during the last few days, I've said to her, "Now, when are you going home?" (Same thing I do to Dorsey when he's getting on my nerves: "When are you leaving again?")

Yes, it's past time for Kim to go home and get back to her life. She's still going to be highly active, returning here frequently, managing financial stuff, participating fully in any major decisions, etc. Still, though, home sweet home.

We finally came up with a plan. As you already know, Mom has moved to her long-term care room. Insurance, her condition and financial limitations led us to that decision. Doesn't mean we love it. It just is.
But, the place is less than two miles from Mom and Dad's house, so it's an easy trip for Dad.

Plus, we decided to hire a professional companion to be with Mom an average of four hours a day each week. The rest of the waking hours are mine. (Most of the time, she sleeps through the night.) Last week, I came up with a schedule that takes into account the basic things I need to do each day to take care of myself and my own household. Frankly, in looking at the schedule, I can see it's going to be too heavy after awhile and I will need to make further adjustments ... not to mention the fact that Jordie's college baseball season begins next month, and I will be traveling to see a few games!

I did build in regular exercise to my schedule. Not because Voice 3 has been harassing me about my fat butt, but because I've had a nasty, nasty, painful flare of a medical condition, and (gentle) exercise is one of the remedies to keep the pain minimal. I hate being in pain, so I'm exercising again.

I'm making time when the caregiver is with Mom to do my grocery shopping, or to prepare food for my family and for Dad, or to get Dad's basic groceries, carry out his trash (he can't lift), set out meds, help care for the kitties, etc.  He has a housekeeper who is also doing his laundry, thankfully. I built in time for my spiritual maintenance and for even feeding Boo, Koda, Indy, Jasper, Allie, Mama, Bella, Beau, Marley and Mojo in the evenings. (There are many weeks when Dorsey travels out of town, so he won't be there to take care of our furry creatures or do laundry, or cook, or whatever.) <sigh>

Finally, Dad found a physical therapist to come work with Mom in her room four days a week. (We can't use the facility's gym, due to liability.) Amazingly, this sweet lady is only charging Dad $45 an hour!

So, there you have it. Now we have a few answers.


But I'm certain flexibility is a necessity, because I know I'm nowhere close to Super Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!