Sunday, February 1, 2015

Hats off to good caregivers

Yesterday I shared a pretty scathing report of my experiences so far with the nursing home system.

Granted, I live in Amarillo, Texas.

And, I've only experienced one nursing home.

And, I've already admitted that I've only hit the tip of the iceberg in this matter.

SO — I am willing to keep an open mind. In fact, somebody show me now the exception to what I've been hearing from many that is the rule of care in nursing homes. Please!

I'm thinking Kim and I must have some gut reason for feeling less than impressed or happy each time we've left a care facility in our search for the right place.

There has to be a reason that when my dad visited a few facilities with us, he left in tears at the prospect of the love of his life living in "one of those places," as he puts it.

Why do I keep coming back to the thought I frequently express? "There are no good answers here."

And, seriously, folks, a good reason must exist in this unsatisfactory venture when I hear a long-time physician gravely shake his head and say to us, "Oh. No. Nursing homes are not for human beings."

... But I'm willing to keep an open mind ...

I also need to express that my overall problem is with the system itself, not with the individuals who provide the care. Not the certified nurses' aids and not the nurses.

I think, for the most part, they care. I have no complaints at my mom's current facility with the hearts of any of the caregivers. We've met some incredibly sweet, well-intentioned, competent people. I sure as heck don't want their jobs. You have to have a heart for this sort of work if you're willing to change dirty briefs or sit with patients in the bathroom while they poop.

Dad and I visited with one of Mom's CNAs last week, when she was upset because a resident had died. She said, of course, that is the worst part of the job, especially when the resident who dies has no family. She obviously cares about her patients.

What I have noted are genuinely good and helpful people who seem to be beating their heads against a brick wall of a system. They are trying to make a difference to a group of people who need their care. Except for the same bad apples that exist in every profession, the majority truly seem to care.

In general, these fine people are working in a system that thwarts their genuine efforts to do and be what is right and good. How easy can it possibly be to provide quality care 100 percent of the time when two or three must answer to the needs of 50-plus patients.  How quickly can a nurse respond to a pain request when she's handling medication administration for 130-something residents? And, seriously, what's the cause of the ridiculously high turnover rate? Something isn't right.

If I wore a hat, it would be off to most of these caregivers.

I'm as sad for them as I am for the residents who must endure this way of life.

To them, I say: Keep up the good fight, and God bless you.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!