Sunday, April 26, 2015

Andrea's "Coach Wil' Story



While I'm taking some time to collect my overwhelmed thoughts on all the overwhelming things going on around here, I'm happy to share other people's stories with you.

As a side note, before you read this, the email came to me in the middle of the night, and I had just been up with my mom. I was winding down from being with her and decided to read my dad-story emails. When I read this one, I busted out laughing ... so hard the dogs came running up the stairs to see what was going on. I laughed for five minutes straight until my husband was so irritated with me that I had to shut up and go to sleep.

Thanks for making my night.

With Andrea Burrows Ables' permission: (Kim, this was before Cole was born.)

"Coach Wil was an amazing coach, mentor, husband, father and grandfather. I played for him and was a member of the 1998 State Championship team. Coach Wil was an amazing coach. He knew the game inside and out. He taught us so much more than just plays on offense and man-to-man defense. He broke the game down and showed us how to beat any opponent. We knew how to read the defense, and when to flare or curl. He taught us how to set screens, and execute an offense. He taught us everything about man-to-man defense. He, along with the other coaches that we had at Randall, inspired me to become a coach. Most everything that I teach now, I can honestly say I learned from him.  

"Coach Wil was not just a great coach, but he was an awesome family man. Nicki was with us all the time and was just as much a part of our team as he was. He was so loving to her, and was so proud of his family, especially Jordie. Coach Wil would light up when Jordie would come to the school. We were also treated just like we were his daughters as well. We knew he loved us.

"One of my favorite Coach Wil moments was in the locker room before our game in Levelland. He was giving his pre-game talk, and a player who I will not name (Keisha), ripped one really loud. It was kind of an awkward moment until Coach Wil said, 'You know, you always bet on a horse that takes a dump last.'

"We all busted out laughing. That lightened up the locker room after that.
I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to play for Coach Wil. I will cherish all the great memories that I have with him."

Thanks, Andrea, I love the laughs!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!