Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Coach Blaut and Coach Gerlich share Coach Wil stories

In 2007/08, my dad and Coach Dale Blaut, formerly the Amarillo High girls' head basketball coach, came out of retirement to help West Texas A&M's new (at the time) head coach in her first year at WT. She had been hired late in the year to have very many options for an assistant. She asked Dad and Dale to help ... and they did! What a great time! The team won the Lone Star Conference. Dad and Dale continue to talk fondly about those days. The following are a couple of stories referring to that fun time. 


KRISTA GERLICH (University of Texas at Arlington, head girls' coach)
Coach Wilcoxson and Coach Blaut both graciously came out of "retirement" to help me on the sideline in my first college head coaching job at WT.  I bribed them by telling them they could take their golf clubs on the road with us — just so happens we played in Florida at Disneyworld and then in San Diego in the same year! So they both jumped aboard, and they helped me start a great run at WT.  

I'll never forget the first game we played of the season in Florida. We were in the middle of a tight game, and of course, I was nervous — my first head coaching job! But I didn't figure Coach Wilcoxson or Blaut even got nervous anymore, they had coached so many big games, and they were just helping me out, you know "along for the ride." 

Well during the first game my graduate assistant, Courtney Nowlin, stood up and whispered in my ear, "Coach, I don't want to bother you, but Coach Wilcoxson left the bench a few minutes ago and hasn't returned. I'm a little worried!" I turned around and I'm sure screamed, "Well, where is he??? Go find him!"  

He was in the bathroom with an upset stomach. Not because he was sick, but because he had eaten pancakes and syrup at our pregame meal, and that, combined with his nerves, sent him to the bathroom! He said he knew better than to eat those on game day! Lol. That's when I knew he was committed to helping me, and he wanted me to succeed probably more than he ever wanted his own teams to succeed. 

He was nervous because he felt responsible to get me started on the best foot possible! Boy did he!!! To this day, he and Coach Blaut call me and check up on my teams, even with me moving to UTA; he still wants to know how I'm doing, who I'm recruiting and how good are we going to be. 

Every time I answer his call, he begins it with, "Coach Gerlich!! This is your ex-assistant coach Jim Wilcoxson!" And a huge smile comes across my face!


What a special, special man! I look at him as a mentor, friend, and second dad. He has a heart the size of Texas and, oh, what a sense of humor! I never get tired of his jokes or one-liners! He is such a great man, and I love him so, so much!  

DALE BLAUT
Coaching at West Texas with Jim was a very special time.  After interviewing for the job and we were on the way home, Jim expressed he thought we could help Coach Gerlich and the team.  I expressed that I just hoped we didn't hurt them!!  

After a wonderful year together we decided it was one of our favorite coaching years because we could make all the suggestions we wanted and not have to make any decisions.  After that year we headed back to the golf course.  


One day I told him I had been called to interview for a coaching job for a school who had a position open in the middle of the year.  I told Jim I would seek what God had planned for me.  

While driving to the interview my phone rang.  I answered and heard Jim's voice saying, "This is God.  DON'T DO IT!!"  After the interview I declined the job, and it was back to days on the golf course with Jim.  He is one of the kindest, funniest, and smartest friends I have.  

Every time I think of him it brings a smile to my face and by knowing him he has made me a better person.  After telling me about his cancer, he said he was not going to dwell on it but get up each day and say, "This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it!"  Psalm 118:24.  

How blessed I am to call him my friend.  I will always cherish our friendship.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful man and dad Coach W is. Thanks for sharing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep being amazed every time I get one of these stories. Thanks, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!