Friday, May 1, 2015

Sandra's "Coach Wil" Story

Coach Wil's original two girls.

This is one of my favorite stories. Thanks, Sandra!

Sandra Martinez Hall

I was fortunate enough to be one of Coach Wil's managers on the 97-98 and 98-99 Lady Raider basketball teams.  As you well know, the Lady Raiders were the '98 State Champions, and I will never forget that ride!  I was "only" a manager, but he treated the other manager and me like one of the team.  Always.  

I filmed most of the games, so I had an incredible right arm after that season.  I remember asking him if I could sit on the bench during the championships because I think my arm had earned a break.  He laughed and hugged me as he always did and told me absolutely I would be sitting with the team.  

When we won, we were included in the giving of medals, and mine and the other manager's names are on the giant State of Texas naming the 3-4A state champions at Randall High School to this day.  He made sure we were included and were considered just as important to the success of that season as everyone who contributed their talents.

I will always, always, always remember his smile and how patient he was.  He hugged me a lot — he took a genuine interest in me even though I didn't play.  I was one of his girls — just like the players.  He touched a deep part of my heart because I knew he cared.  

A year or two after I graduated, I visited Randall and found him in his office immediately.  I was able to sit down and chat with him for a short time, but he seemed so genuinely happy that I had come to visit. 

Ten years after the championship, in March of 2008, we got to have a reunion with the team in Austin.  When he saw me, he just smiled this huge smile and thanked me so much for coming.  Of course, there were hugs for everyone.  

Coach Wil, you made a huge difference in my life during my high school years.  You were the best coach I have ever known and, honestly, one of the greatest men I have ever known.  I love how you loved your players like they were your own kids.  I'll never ever forget how much you loved the game, but most importantly how you loved the kids you coached.  

I am so sorry that you are walking this road, but I know that you know the Lord has never left your side.  I pray that He continues to hold you in the days ahead and that you have such a sweet peace each day. 

With deep love and great gratitude.


1 comment:

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!