Thursday, May 28, 2015

Teebox, part 5: Working Through His Influence

Note: My son, Jordie Henry, is now 20 years old. When he was a junior at Randall High School, he had to write a story similar to the format of "Tuesdays With Morrie," for Mr. Lance's English class. He wrote his story about his granddad, Jim Wilcoxson. 

With Jordie's permission, I am sharing part five of this story.

Philippians 4:6 — "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." 


Working Through His Influence


There are two main accomplishments that my granddad has taught me throughout my lifespan of 16, almost 17, years. The first is the ability to play sports. Being a two-time state champion basketball coach, he got me hooked on basketball from a very early age. The earliest instance I can remember of myself playing basketball was when I was in Childress, in the driveway of my great granddad, Grandaddy Wilcoxson's, house. I was throwing a little rubber ball into a Little Tikes basketball goal, made of plastic. There is even a famous picture of me doing exactly what I just described, although I really do remember it happening.

Granddad coached my club basketball teams all the way until 8th grade, right before high school. He taught me everything I know about the sport. Golf is the same way with him. He taught me how to play golf at a very early age, as well, and he really got me playing on a course at the age of 8. He has taught me that golf is a game of frustration, a game of patience, a game of hard work, and a valuable commodity for life in instances you would never think about, like business.
That red Toyota Tundra now belongs to Jordie.
This is the day granddad gave it to him,
in November.

Just recently, in the summer of 2011, I shot a 79 in Childress, of all places. It was the first time I had ever broken the score of 80 on the golf course, which is a milestone for golfers everywhere. I never would've been able to do it without him. He taught me everything I know about the sport.

The second accomplishment is the greatest. He taught me how to have a relationship with God. Now, before I go any further, I will say that nobody is perfect. I am by no means the perfect example of a Christian. But, I am a Christian, and I do talk to God. I do not care if people who are not Christians know about that. To each his own. 

However, Granddad has taught me a lot about life, and that includes God. He is always giving me advice and tips on life. He never forgets to mention the importance of the Lord in our lives, and how important it is to be involved in His teachings. Faith has gotten me through many struggles in life, especially my sophomore year. I will never forget that.

The extent of these accomplishments will help me through my entire life, for I have already figured that out for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!