Thursday, May 28, 2015

Teebox, part 6: Simple But Perfect

Note: My son, Jordie Henry, is now 20 years old. When he was a junior at Randall High School, he had to write a story similar to the format of "Tuesdays With Morrie," for Mr. Lance's English class. He wrote his story about his granddad, Jim Wilcoxson. 

With Jordie's permission, I am sharing part six of this story.

Matthew 6:34 — "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."


Simple But Perfect

Granddad's perfect day is a simple one. He only mentioned four things. I did not expect a list of only four things, but now that I think about it, it makes sense to me. It seems it would be easier to have a simple list on a perfect day. It is perfect because there is not a lot to do. There is no stress, there could be downtime, and you can sit back and relax the day away. You can really soak up your perfect day and enjoy it when you add the simplicity to the equation. 
Dad, Jordie, and Jordie's dad, Dave Henry. This was
the day we moved Jordie into his dorm at Wayland.

The first thing that Granddad mentioned was that he wanted to play 18 holes of golf with me at the La Paloma golf course. I am well aware of the fact that he loves playing golf, and he has always harped on how much he likes playing when I am with him. Sometimes I wonder why this is, because one thing I've regretted most about the subject is my attitude on the golf course. I can be very unpleasant, to put it nicely. But, I know that Granddad enjoys the nature of being outside and playing a game he loves with his grandson. I guess when I become older, I will not take those things for granted either. 

The second and third things he listed go hand in hand with each other. He said that he would like to do good for somebody who needs it, with no expectations or favors in return. He also said that he would like to perform God's service. God's service does include doing good for people who need it.

Lastly, he said that living with God's intentions would complete his perfect day. This means praising God, living through the works of His word, and spreading His word to others. 

One thing he doesn't realize, however, is that he performs these four things on an almost daily basis, especially in the summer. In the summer is when we play golf together, because it is when I have the time to get in a round of golf. He always does good for somebody who needs it by simply putting a smile on many people's faces each and every day. By doing this, he does perform God's service. He also influences many people, including me, with God's word, which is living with God's intentions. 

In a short summary like that, I have explained his daily rituals, and I have described his perfect day, which are pretty much the same two things.

It is simply amazing. 


Next: Part 7: "A Lot to Live up to" 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your constructive feedback and comments are welcome!